The Texas Healthcare Marketplace offers affordable health insurance options for individuals and families. Get the facts you need here for how to apply for health insurance in Texas. To get your free Texas health insurance quote, click here.
How to Apply
Texans interested in applying must go through the government site, Healthcare.gov.
To apply, you will need:
- Your social security number
- W-2 or self employed income estimation
- Tobacco usage information
- Immigration or citizenship information
- Health insurance plan information for any family members who have insurance
Once you have all of your documents, visit Healthcare.gov, select Texas as your state, and follow the prompts to complete your application.
Texas’s options for low-cost health insurance include Medicaid and Children’s Health Insurance Program (CHIP). If you want to see whether you’re eligible for these discounted healthcare plans, tick these boxes when applying. The Healthcare.gov platform will automatically evaluate your eligibility for reduced-cost health care based on yoru income information.
Types of Coverage
Texas offers a four-tier system of healthcare: Bronze, Silver, Gold, and Platinum. This has replaced the standard vs. premium plan level system.
- Bronze – Has the lowest deductible, but you pay 40 percent of care expenses
- Silver – Has a low deductible, but you pay 30 percent of care expenses
- Gold – Has a high deductible, but you pay 20 percent of care expenses
- Platinum – Has the highest deductible, but you pay 10 percent of care expenses
Regardless of the plan you select, all of them cover preventative care for adults as well as pregnancy care, pediatric vision care, and pediatric dental care. Adult vision and dental care are not covered and must be purchased separately.
Coverage for Small Businesses
Small businesses may apply through the Texas Marketplace for employee healthcare coverage if they have 50 or fewer employees. Small business health care can be purchased at any time of year.
When to Apply
Open enrollment for Texas health care runs from November 1, 2016 until January 21, 2017. If you have “qualifying event” — unemployment, lost/changed health insurance, divorce, moving to Texas from another state — you can apply at any time.
Texas’s marketplace offers a lot of options for all income levels, and failing to apply for it can result in a tax penalty. Apply today!